Granby man pleads guilty, is sentenced in 2011 arson case


Scott Szaban, 47, of 399 East State St. in Granby, was sentenced by Judge Bertha Josephson in  Hampshire Superior Court, today, to 4 years - 4 years and one day in state prison after he admitted to setting a fire in September 2011 that destroyed a Granby home and other charges.

Szaban also pleaded guilty, Tuesday, to two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and breaking and entering in the nighttime with the intent to commit a felony.

Szaban broke into the 92 Chicopee St. home, which was unoccupied at the time, and set fire to it on Sept. 27, 2011. The assault charges were brought after he pointed a laser-equipped pellet gun at law enforcement officials when they went to his trailer in February 2012 to arrest him on a warrant in connection with the fire.

Ted LaBorde, whose family owned the home, described the impact of the fire in a victim impact statement, thanking Granby Fire Chief Russ Anderson for helping him navigate the challenges that followed the destruction of his family’s  homestead as well as the State Fire Marshal’s Office, Granby Fire and Police departments and the Northwestern District Attorney’s Office.

“It is the hope of the District Attorney’s Office that this sentence provides some closure for the LaBorde family as they move forward, as well as a measure of security for the town of Granby,” said Assistant District Attorney Matthew Thomas, who prosecuted the case.

All parties, including LaBorde agreed with the recommended sentence.

State Fire Marshal Stephen D. Coan said, “I want to applaud the solid work of the fire investigation team and the prosecutors to bring this arsonist to justice. Arson is a crime that affects more than just property and individual victims; it impacts the entire community.”

Szaban will receive credit for 495 days served. The sentence is to be formally imposed on Friday.  Josephson agreed to a request by Szaban to stay the sentence until then so that his family members can visit him, if permitted, in the Hampshire County Jail and House of Corrections, where he has been held since February 2012.